Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2007), the hillside of red sandstone boulders (petrified sand dunes) of Twyfelfontein hold around 2,500 rock engravings, depicting various animals, footprints and patterns, and is one of the largest collection of its kind in Africa. Artefacts found at the site, dating back around 6,000 years, suggest the long-term occupation of Stone Age San hunter-gatherers, followed by Khoikhoi herders.
Twyfelfontein, meaning ‘uncertain spring’ in Afrikaans, was named by a farmer in 1946 because he wasn’t sure whether the spring would provide enough water to sustain his livestock and family. Evidence of the farm still remains today and the (undoubtedly rather feeble) spring provides a great attraction to bird life.
The main engravings of interest lie along two circular routes, taking around two hours, and a visitor centre provides information on the history, people and geology of the area.